ORDINANCE NUMBER 14-10761
AN ORDINANCE PROVIDING FOR THE AMENDMENT OF ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526 THE SAME BEING CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP THEREIN AND THEREBY ADOPTED AND PROVIDING FOR THE REZONING OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES THEREOF.
WHEREAS, all conditions precedent for the amendment of the Zoning District Map, the rezoning of certain property therein, hereinafter described have been timely complied with, SO NOW, THEREFORE,
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. The Governing Body makes the following findings:
1. The property at the northwest corner of North Seventh Street and Elm Street has been the home to a fire station serving the central portion of the city for over 60 years and this property has been shown to be suitable for that use.
2. The existing I-2 zoning of the fire station site does not reflect its actual ownership and use.
3. The subject property is adjacent to the City-County Building government campus on the south and is buffered by public streets on three sides and the requested zoning change from I-2 to PDD – P(PF) and the reduced front yard setback on North Eighth Street would not adversely affect the surrounding neighborhood or harm the value or use of neighboring properties because there are no residential uses in the vicinity and the list of uses is more restrictive in the Public Use district than under the existing I-2 zoning classification.
4. Needed utilities and drainage facilities, and adequate public street access are in place to serve the proposed fire station facility expansion.
5. The subject property is shown as a future Public / Quasi Public land use area on the Future Land Use Map and approval of PDD “P-(PF)” zoning would be consistent with this land use designation.
Section 2. Amendment. DISTRICT “PDD P (PF)”, PUBLIC USE PLANNED DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas duly adopted and published as a part of Ordinance Number 8526, the same being Chapter 42 of the Salina Code, be and it is hereby amended so that the following described property be rezoned as follows, to-wit:
Lots 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 of Church Park in the Original Town of Salina in the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas; and Lots 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 of the Gower and Van Fleet’s Subdivision of a part of Church Park in the Original Town of Salina in the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas which is addressed as 222 W. Elm Street.
shall become a part of DISTRICT “PDD P (PF)”, PUBLIC USE PLANNED DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT.
Section 3. Conditions of Approval. The use of said described property shall be subject to all the conditions, restrictions and limitations as made and provided for in Ordinance Number 8526, the same being Chapter 42 of the Salina Code with reference to the PLANNED DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT. Development of the property shall be subject to the plans on file with the Zoning Administrator and/or City Clerk and the following conditions, to-wit:
1. Development and use of the Fire Station No. 1 site shall be limited to and shall be subject to all bulk regulations use limitations and sign regulations applicable to the P (Public Use) district, except as enumerated in Subsection 2 below.
2. Exceptions and Modifications – Requested modifications of otherwise applicable zoning regulations approved by the Planning Commission under the authority of Section 42-403(12) are specifically enumerated as follows:
a) A reduction in the required front yard setback along North Eighth Street from 25 ft. (the minimum setback from a public street required in the P district) to 0 ft. to allow the proposed vehicle bay addition to extend out to the Eighth Street property line.
b) An exception to Section 42-250.1 (a) of the P District regulations, which requires a 15 ft. buffer area abutting the public street right-of-way, to allow the fire station structure to be located within the buffer area along North Eighth Street.
c) A reduction in the required front yard setback along North Seventh Street from 25 ft. (the minimum setback from a public street required in the P district) to 5 ft. to allow a future trailer storage building to be located within 5 ft. of the Seventh Street property line.
d) An increase in the allowable sign area for one (1) awning / wall sign from 32 sq. ft. to 75 sq. ft. to ensure that the existing 70.81 sq. ft. awning sign does not become nonconforming with the zoning change.
e) An increase in the allowable sign area from 32 sq. ft. to 92 sq. ft. to allow a west facing wall sign to be installed that would consist of individual ceramic letters that were previously mounted on the front of the fire station building.
3. Development of the Fire Station No. 1 site shall be completed in accordance with the approved site development plan and building elevation drawings which are herein incorporated by reference.
Section 4. Repealer. All prior ordinances in conflict herewith as they relate to the above described real estate are hereby repealed.
Section 5. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 14-10761 Summary
On December 29, 2014, the City of Salina, Kansas passed Ordinance No. 14-10761. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of the Fire Station No. 1 property at the northwest corner of West Elm Street and North Seventh Street from I-2 (Light Industrial) to PDD P (PF) (Public Use Planned Development District) to allow the construction of additional fire apparatus bays on the west side of the building. A complete copy of the ordinance is available at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the city clerk, 300 W. Ash Street, free of charge. This summary is certified by the city attorney.
Introduced: December 22, 2014
Passed: December 29, 2014
Aaron Householter, Mayor
Shandi Wicks, CMC, City Clerk
Certification of Publication Summary:
Greg A. Bengtson, City Attorney