1/18/2019 - Santa Fe Avenue Streetscape & Waterline Update
Beginning Tuesday, January 22, Smoky Hill Construction will be closing southbound Santa Fe between Elm and Ash. Traffic control for the Streetscape and Waterline work is described as follows:
• Traffic control will continue to allow northbound one-way traffic in the block from Ash to Elm. Southbound traffic will be detoured west on North Street, south on 9th Street to Ash Street, and back east to Santa Fe along Ash;
• Contractor will remove curb, sidewalk, street pavement and parking areas on the west half of Santa Fe to facilitate installation of new water service lines to the west side properties (the new water main was completed last year). Temporary walkways and signage will be installed and coordinated with business owners to maintain access to doors;
• Contractor will also be closing Elm Street from 7th to Santa Fe such that eastbound Elm Street traffic will need to go south on 7th to Ash and east on Ash back onto Santa Fe northbound. Westbound Elm Street will have to turn south on 5th Street or north on Santa Fe;
• Contractor continues to work on the north side of Walnut Street finishing sidewalk, steps and brick work around the Stiefel Theatre;
• Work continues in Spilman Plaza and concrete placement progresses from east to west.
Pedestrian access to all storefronts is still available even though the Santa Fe Avenue street parking is disrupted. Plenty of downtown parking exists in the public parking lots and along Fifth Street and Seventh Street.