ORDINANCE NUMBER 19-11015
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
Lots Twenty-six (26), Twenty-eight (28), Thirty (30), Thirty-two (32), Thirty-four (34) and Thirty-six (36) on Claflin Avenue, plus the West Eight (8) ft. of vacated Fourth Street, in the Grounds of Kansas Wesleyan University, an addition to the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas and Lots Twenty-nine (29), Thirty-one (31), Thirty-three (33) and Thirty-five (35) on Kirwin Avenue, plus the West Eight (8) ft. of vacated Fourth Street, in the Grounds of Kansas Wesleyan University, an addition to the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas (the “Property”)
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
- The Property is more suitable for university use than continued residential use due to their proximity to the main KWU campus.The current R-2 zoning of 135 E. Claflin Avenue inhibits the reuse of the vacant medical clinic as a facility for KWU’s Nursing Degree Program.
- The rezoning request area is adjacent to existing U zoned property so the requested U zoning would be compatible with the zoning and uses of nearby property. Approval of U zoning would be a logical extension of the existing U district along this portion of the Claflin Avenue corridor and KWU campus.
- Needed public utilities and streets are already in place to serve the needs of the rezoning request area.
- While the requested rezoning requires an amendment of the Future Land Use Map to show the rezoning request area as Public / Semi-Public, an amendment to the Plan is justified in these circumstances due to the location of the property in relation to the main KWU campus and existing university facilities and activity areas.
Section 2. Amendment. DISTRICT “U”. UNIVERSITY DISTRICT. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT “U” UNIVERSITY DISTRICT.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 19-11015 Summary
On October 7, 2019 the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 19-11015. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of six lots on the north side of Claflin Avenue and four lots on the south side of Kirwin Avenue west of South Fourth that are owned by Kansas Wesleyan University from R-1 (Single-Family Residential), R-2 (Multi-Family Residential) and R-3 (Multi-Family Residential) to U (University) district. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: September 23, 2019
Passed: October 7, 2019
Trent W. Davis, M.D., Mayor
Shandi Wicks, CMC, City Clerk
The publication summary set forth above is certified this __ day of October, 2019.
Greg A. Bengtson, City Attorney