1/7/2020 - Ordinance No. 17-10901 Changing Zoning District Classification of Property Located on the East Side of Markley Road
ORDINANCE NUMBER 17-10901
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the real estate described real estate:
A parcel of land located in the Northeast Quarter of Section 29, Township 14 South, Range 2 West of the 6th Principal Meridian in Saline County, Kansas, more particularly described as follows:
Beginning at the Southwest corner of said Northeast Quarter; thence N 00°31’03” W on the West line of said Northeast Quarter, a distance of 45.62 feet; thence on a curve to the right, having a radius of 1956.86 feet, an arc length of 719.30 feet, a chord bearing of N 22°59’38” E, and a chord distance of 715.26 feet; thence on a curve to the left, having a radius of 1856.86 feet, an arc length of 489.45 feet, a chord bearing of N 25°56’25” E, and a chord distance of 488.04 feet to a point on the south line of a tract of land described in Deed Book 325, Page 861 in the Office of the Salina County Register of Deeds; thence N 89°26’12” E on said South line, and extensions thereof, a distance of 930.84 feet; thence S 00°25’40” E a distance of 1141.41 feet to a point on the south line of said Northeast Quarter; thence S 89°34’20” W on said South line, a distance of 1431.83 feet to the point of beginning. (the Property)
Said parcel contains 1,377,746 square feet, 31.63 acres, more or less.
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
1. All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
2. The subject property is not suitable for development of a single-family housing under the existing Agricultural zoning. The location and physical attributes of this property, the availability of public utilities and its frontage on an improved collector street make it suitable for urban density residential development. Adequate legal and financial assurances are in place to ensure that Markley Road is improved to City street standards abutting this property in the future;
3. The subject property is a logical extension of the existing residential development along Markley Road and the requested R-1 zoning would be compatible with the zoning and land use of nearby properties;
4. Needed public utilities are in place or can be readily extended to serve the entire 31.63 acre site; and
5. The requested zoning change from A-1 to R-1 would be consistent with the city’s Comprehensive Plan which shows this property as being located within the city’s Urban Service Area and calls for future suburban residential development in this area.
Section 2. AMENDMENT. DISTRICT "R-1", SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT "R-1", SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances in conflict herewith as they relate to the above described real estate are hereby repealed.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 17-10901 Summary
On January 6, 2020, the City of Salina, Kansas, passed Ordinance No. 17-10901. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of property located on the east side of Markley Road, north of Magnolia Road to R-1 (Single-Family Residential). A complete copy of the ordinance is available at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the city clerk, 300 W. Ash Street, free of charge. This summary is certified by the city attorney.
Section 5. Effective date. That this ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication of the summary once in the official city newspaper.
Introduced: September 25, 2017
Passed: January 6, 2020
Trent W. Davis, M.D., Mayor
Shandi Wicks, CMC, City Clerk
The publication summary set forth above is certified this ___ day of January, 2020.
Greg A. Bengtson, City Attorney