ORDINANCE NUMBER 21-11060
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE FUTURE LAND USE MAP OF THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
Lots 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 in Block 1 and Lots 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 in Block 2 of the Marydale Addition and Lots 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, Block 1, in the Replat of part of Marydale Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas. (the “Property”)
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Comprehensive Plan have been timely met;
- The requested amendment to the Future Land Use Map included in the Comprehensive Plan is justified by changing conditions in the community due to the overcrowding at the existing Saline County jail facility and the need to find a suitable location for a new County jail.
- The requested Future Land Use Map amendment advances goals and policies contained in the Comprehensive Plan because there is an identified need for an expanded County jail facility and County voters approved the construction of a new facility.
- There is a public need to change the Future Land Use Map to designate the Property as Public / Semi-Public because the existing Employment land use designation of this 18 acre site reflects its anticipated use in the 1970s but not the proposed use as the site for a new County jail facility.The Employment land use classification does not list large government facilities as an appropriate land use, but the Public / Semi-Public land use category does.
- The public need is best served by changing the land use designation of the Property.The proposed change in land use designation would support a zoning change that would allow the construction of a new County jail facility on the Property.
- The requested change would not negatively impact the surrounding area because there are buffer areas around the 18 acre jail site.The requested change would more accurately reflect the intended public ownership and use of the property.
Section 2. Comprehensive Plan Amendment. The Future Land Use Map (Figure 2.1) of the Salina Comprehensive Plan is amended to show the Property as a future Public/Semi-Public land use area.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once in the official city newspaper by the following summary.
Ordinance No. 21-11060 Summary
On May 3, 2021, the City of Salina, Kansas, passed Ordinance No. 21-11060. The ordinance amends the Future Land Use Map in the Salina Comprehensive Plan to show the future land use designation of the 18 acre site of the future Saline County Jail on the south side of East Pacific Avenue, east of North Front Street as Public/Semi-Public instead of Employment area in order to be consistent with the proposed use of the property as the site of a new County jail. A complete copy of the ordinance is available at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the city clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the city attorney.
Introduced: April 26, 2021
Passed: May 3, 2021
Melissa Rose Hodges, Mayor
JoVonna A. Rutherford, City Clerk