ORDINANCE NUMBER 21-11068
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
Lots 50, 51, 52 and 53 on Elm Street, Lot 54, 56 and 58 on Eighth Street, Lots 49, 51, 53, 55 and 57 on Eighth Street, Lots 50, 52, 54, 56 and 58 on Seventh Street, all of vacated Eighth Street and the vacated north-south alley between the north line of Ash Street and the south line of Elm Street, in the Original Town (now City) of Salina, Saline County, Kansas and addressed as 301 W. Elm Street (the “Property”)
The Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met.
- The property at the southeast corner of North 9th Street and Elm Street has been the home to the Salina Public Library serving the Salina community for over 50 years and this property has been shown to be suitable for that use.
- The existing C-4 zoning of the Public Library site does not reflect its actual ownership and use as a civic facility (specifically a public library).
- The subject property is adjacent to the City-County Building property (to the south) and part of the City-County Civic Center Campus.The Public Library property is buffered by public streets on three sides and the requested zoning change from C-4 to P-(PF) would not adversely affect the surrounding neighborhood or harm the value or use of neighboring properties because the surrounding properties are all similar public/semi-public uses to the library.
- Needed utilities and drainage facilities, and adequate public street access are in place to serve the existing library.
- The subject property is shown as a future Public / Quasi Public land use area on the Future Land Use Map and approval of P-(PF) zoning would be consistent with this land use designation.
Section 2. Amendment. DISTRICT “P-(PF)” PUBLIC USE-PUBLIC FACILITIES. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT “P-(PF)” PUBLIC USE-PUBLIC FACILITIES.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 21-11068 Summary
On August 2, 2021, the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 21-11068. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of the Salina Public Library campus from C-4 (Central Business) district to P-(PF) Public Use-Public Facilities district to better reflect its public ownership and use. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: July 26, 2021
Passed: August 2, 2021
Melissa Rose Hodges, Mayor
JoVonna A. Rutherford, City Clerk